Monday, October 27, 2014

Infections and Such

Do you not realize I have had diarrhea since Easters?
     Fun week this week! I started feeling sick a couple days ago so we went home and used that thermometer to take my temperature. I had a fever of 102! Luckily, the husband of one of our investigators, who is also our neighbor, is a doctor. We stopped by their house and he told me I probably had an infection either in my lung or my stomach. I've also been experiencing a lot of the same stuff I had before my mission with my lungs, etc. Anyways, he gave me some antibiotics and told me the amount to take, etc. Peru is awesome, you could get anything over the counter. Literally, anything. Anyways, he didn't tell me if I should eat first so I just ate some crackers, took the pills, and went to bed. I woke up about an hour later so Elder Johanson could go eat dinner, and my stomach felt like it was being scraped at from the inside with a dirty Peruvian fork. It was honestly the worst stomache pain I've ever felt. E. Johanson and our pension's son had to basically carry me back to the doctor's house. That was when the real fun started. One thing about Peru: There is literally a home remedy for ANYTHING. The treatments from the investigator (not doctor) were as such:

Cotton swabs soaked in alcohol placed in my armpits
Some sort of drink which was just herbs mixed into fish oil. She had me drink about 3/4 and then rubbed the last of it on my belly. It actually kind of worked. It was just disgusting
Wet rags placed on various places on my face and neck
Matte, which is just herbal tea

     Then her husband (the doctor) gave me a shot in the butt. I have no idea what for but at the time I was just glad he sterilized it. Whatever it was I'm feeling much better now. I stopped taking the antibiotics though.
     In other news, we have five new investigators and three investigators with baptismal dates! We have one new investigator named Edwardo who told us that two years ago he talked to his neighbor about the gospel, and I believe even talked with the missionaries. He had a dream where he saw a light and heard a voice that said, "continue receiving my sons." Pretty cool stuff!
I also gave my first talk in church yesterday. Nailed it! Not really though. I tried not to notice the blank stares from the audience and the fact that no one said anything to me afterwards. Later that night in a lesson a recent convert told me he didn't understand any of it.  LOL.

     We have two new missionaries training here in Andahuaylas now but their both Latino and already speak Spanish. 
     I'm not really sure how they celebrate Halloween here. I just know they do somehow.
     My favorite Spanish phrase I learned this week is "al amor del agua," which means, "with the current or, with the flow." I use it like a hippy. I don't know if it makes sense that way though haha.
Well, that's all for now. I love you all and wish the best for all of you! The Church is more true than it was last week. 
"The sharpest swords are put through the hottest of flames." -Cougar Einfeldt
Love,
Elder Tate

No comments:

Post a Comment