Monday, September 22, 2014

You Know It's a Good Day in the Mission When Your Poop is Solid

     This week has been pretty sweet. I've been introduced to about everyone Elder Johanson knows, now the trick is just to be able to talk to them. I'm slowly starting to be able to understand a few of our investigators. We've also been teaching a lot of less actives. That's where Pres. Harbertson wants our main focus to be. There are tons of inactive members here. There's also tons of people that live together and have kids but for some reason never want to get married. I think part of the reason might be because they don't want to pay for a wedding. We have one investigator with a baptismal date and a couple others that want to be baptized but they have to either fix some stuff (like the marriage thing) or work out some family issues. 

     Everyone we teach is very nice to me about my Spanish. Usually in our lessons all I do is share a scripture or two and then bear my testimony at the end. I always tell them that even though I don't know Spanish I am here because I know that this Church is true, and that through faith in Christ all things are possible, including learning Spanish. Then they always tell me something like, "You will speak spanish one day! You learn little by little." It's awesome.

     I pretty much have a calling as the ward pianist now, which is kinda fun. Peruvians aren't very musically inclined. At all. I led a hymn in Sunday School but it was pretty much me just singing a solo and waving my hand in the air. It was great.

     One of the less actives that we've been visiting me has a guitar and he asked me to play it for him. By Peruvian standards I'm pretty much a professional. He was so impressed with the one song that I know that he wants us to come back so I can teach him how to play it. I'm hoping that music will help us be more successful with visiting him and his brother because sometimes they're hard to get a hold of. Music has played an awesome role already in my mission, especially since I don't know the language. One of the members that helps us out a lot wants me to teach group piano lessons at the church as a way of contacting. As soon as I get a little better at Spanish Elder Johanson and I are going to try to get that going.

     Elder Johanson is awesome. We get along swimmingly. He's an excellent trainer, he's obedient, and does his best to follow the Spirit and do what he feels the Lord wants. He's been helping me a lot with my Spanish as well. We live with one other companionship, Elder Lundell and Elder Haro. Elder Lundell is from Montana and Haro is from Lima. They're both super cool and we all get along well and have good times at night before bed.

     This place wasn't built for my large body. I have to bend through just about every doorway, including my own bedroom door. It's awesome. I love it. Our apartment is very small, very gross, and very cold, but I love it. Every missionary in the mission have what's called a pensionista, which is a lady that cooks all our food for us. Our pension is super awesome. We live next door to her. Her name is Hermana Justa.

     I'm still homesick, but I know that this is what I'm supposed to be doing. I realized last night that the only reason God would ask an 18-year-old boy to leave his family and everything else behind is because that this work is true. Don't worry about me, I'll be okay. It's not really that cold here except for when it's dark or it's raining. Or both. But I've been able to keep warm and my stomach is adjusting to the food.

I love you all! Until next week!

Elder Tate

No comments:

Post a Comment